Before we dive into the local podiatry landscape, it’s important to understand the salient ins and outs of day-to-day foot care, especially if you’ve been struggling with diabetes or general foot discomfort for some time. Shown below is the ideal regimen for maintaining your body’s all-important base:
- With a handheld mirror, inspect your feet on a daily basis and be on the lookout for blisters, cuts, abrasions, localised swelling, or any signs of infection.
- Wash your feet with warm water and a mild soap at least once per day. After your washing routine, be sure to dry them off and sprinkle some foot powder between your toes to prevent the development of fungal infections.
- Obtain a simple pumice stone and smooth out the rough calluses on your heels and beneath your toes on a daily basis; light pressure for just a few minutes should be more than enough.
- If you’re struggling with dry or cracking skin on your feet, apply a small amount of petroleum jelly on the affected areas on a daily basis. Never apply moisturisers in between your toes.
- On a weekly basis, trim your toenails by cutting or filling directly across the natural curve of the toe. Never cut deep into the corners of the nail.
- Check your shoes for undesirable objects such as pebbles, plastics, or torn soles.
Now that you know a bit more about day-to-day foot care, it’s in your best interests to identify a reputable local podiatry centre for more nuanced, targeted care options. In this regard, let’s take a look at how to identify the most distinguished Bayswater podiatry facility in your area.
Step One: Ensure an Accredited Facility
First things first; you’ll want to turn your attention towards the facility’s About Us section and look for the following aspects:
- Full-time podiatrist and podiatric surgeon on site
- Certified by The University of Western Australia’s Faculty of Medicine
- Accredited by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Surgical privilege in a multitude of renowned medical centres including Westminster Day Surgery, Park Hospital Surgery Centre, and the UWA Podiatric Surgical Centre, just to name a few
Step Two: Make Sure That Your Insurance Is Accepted
The most distinguished podiatry centres pride themselves on being able to accept a vast array of insurance options, the most prominent of which are shown below:
- HBF hospital cover
- HICAPS health provider
- BUPA healthcare
- Australian Government Department of Veterans Affairs
Step Three: Check the Suite of Services
Next, you should use the hypothetical suite of services shown below to vet the aptitudes and proficiencies of your local podiatry facility:
- Wide range of foot surgery options to rectify hallux valgus, hallux limitus, hammer toe, Morton’s Neuroma, bunions, and myriad other ailments
- Extensive assortment of sports podiatry specialties including joint mobilisation treatments, biomechanical assessments, corticosteroid injection therapy, trigger point therapy, and various rehabilitation procedures
- Diabetic foot care regimens to rectify incessant numbness, swelling, cramps, discolouration, and a host of other diabetes-related foot conditions
- Comprehensive orthotic prescriptions facilitated with a state-of-the-art 3D scanning module